Bloggy Identity Crisis.

on

I’ve been quiet here for a few weeks.

Now, let me first start out by saying we’ve been busy.  Tremendously so.  We’re trying to cram every second of summer full and sometimes, things have to give.

However, the truth is my silence was about 20% business and 80% identity crisis.

What I know to be true is that I write good things here.

What I know to be true is that I haven’t worked very hard to promote myself.

What I know to be true is that this blog is mostly read by people who know me.

What I know to be true is that to drive more traffic here, it takes more hours of the day than I’m willing to put into it.

When I consider all of those truths, I’m left with trying decide what I want to do.  Do I put in the hours?  Do I change my voice? I tried the voice change.  It left me feeling tired and uninspired to write here because I meant maintaining something that while wasn’t false, wasn’t exactly true either.  Since I want to write about our life and not one topic, I’m niche-less, meaning it’s a lot harder for people to decide what I am and what I’m trying to say.  But I don’t want to pigeon hole myself and I don’t want to write a dozen blogs to make sure I can be easily identified.

So, I’m going back to the way I felt before.

I’ll write what I want to write.

I’ll hope people read (and if you ARE reading THANK YOU!).

12 Comments

1. Barnmaven says:

Yes to this, Jamie. I know what you mean about not having a niche…I feel the same way quite a lot. But I love to write and I love to read, so it works for me. I hope it works better for you too.

1. Jamie says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. :)

2. margaret Veon says:

3. Els Mama says:

Jamie,

Stay true to yourself and to what makes you happy. Don’t worry about who’s looking or not looking. If I remember correctly, you said once that you were doing this for your girls. So that they could see all of the things you did and what kind of family you are and to basically have a living scrapbook for them. Don’t worry about finding a niche. Just worry about being true to yourself and to your beautiful angels.

Allison

1. Jamie says:

Thanks, Allison. <3 You're totally right.

4. Jenny Anderson says:

I love to read what you write, Jamie. If sometimes you’re too busy, that is a good thing, not a bad one. I love to read about your successes and stuff that you have struggles with. It makes my humanness bearable, when I read about yours! Your niche is being you! Don’t worry about bloggy rules. I want to hear about the garden, your csa, sewing, crafting, being a mom and wife and other stuff that I want to do but need a little inspiration.

1. Jamie says:

It’s tough. I know that my family and friends read it and maybe some day my kids will. I routinely state that I blog because I WANT to. If that’s the case, why do I have readership number break downs twice a year?

5. Holly says:

I get it. It does take work to promote a blog. I have identity crises like this probably 6 times a year!

6. I think that pretty much happens to everyone. Sometimes, you really lose yourself along the way. But anyway, keep on writing. Write whatever you want and feel. After all, that’s what writing is for. Expression.

7. Noe says:

It happened to me this week when I told my mother I didn’t want to blog anymore as she’s mostly the only one who reads it. Why write and put in the hours and time and energy to write for only one person? It’s just my life… silly things, stupid things, funny things. However, I decided to keep writing and not letting other people influence what I want to write about or the way I want to express my feelings/thoughts.

8. Oklejanie says:

I will immediately grab your rss as I can not find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

1. Jamie says:

You know, I’ve set up feed burner, but it didn’t make the cut over when I changed things. I’ll do that this evening. ;)

Comments are closed.