November 20, 2012

Post-Gallbladder update

So, my gallbladder is gone now.  Today is my fourth day post surgery and I’m happy to report that I’m doing pretty well at this point.  I’m sore and stiff and not 100%, but I’m feeling pretty good.

Prior to my surgery, I spent some time reading about what people’s experiences with surgery were like.  It’s hard sometimes to get a middle of the road post-surgical recap.  People either had a miraculous fast recovery or felt horrible for months.  I seem to be in the middle.

I also wanted to share what my surgery process was like for people who might have questions.

Big Daddy and I arrived at the surgery center at 8:45 in the morning.  I was admitted and then taken back into the pre-op area.  There, I was issued my hospital gown and slipper socks.  I had my vitals checked and iv was started.  Big Daddy was able to join me a little after nine and I was able to wait with him while we were waiting for my surgery time.  For me, this was the worst part.  My anxiety was through the roof and I was having trouble calming myself down.

Right around 10, I was taken back to the operating room.  I climbed onto the table myself, laid down and woke up in recovery.  I swear it was that fast.  I was fighting the breathing process a little bit, but I woke up fairly quickly and moved into a chair where I could sit up and be monitored.  Once I was sitting up, Big Daddy was able to come back and wait with me and, of course, that made me feel better right away.

I was having some pain, particularly when trying to take deep breaths, but it wasn’t unbearable. Everything was going well and I was released right around 1 p.m.  Yes, folks, that was only 4 hours and 15 minutes in the hospital. Bell to bell.  And the surgery itself took an hour.

I was sent home with a prescription for Norco, which I probably waited to long to take.  I was fairly sore in the evening, but once I got smart and took two pills around bed time I felt much better.  I had pain while moving, but I was getting around okay.  The majority of my pain was under my right rib cage.  That’s probably where the surgery gas settled.  I made sure to move as much as I could, getting up every thirty minutes or so because the more you move 1) the quicker the pre-surgery gas dissipates and 2) the less at risk you are for post surgery blood clots.  If you’ve never had laproscopic surgery, let me tell you that the gas they use to inflate your abdomen will gather in your shoulders or chest cavity after surgery and make you feel miserable.  Since I was super hydrated from my iv and super thirsty, I made lots of bathroom trips and I can say that I had nothing that resembled gas pains after the first night. Hooray!

Saturday morning, I was stiff but okay.  I came downstairs to inventory the freezer with Big Daddy and tried to nap while he went to the store.  Then the girls came home.  Baby Bee is very very attached to me, and it was very hard for her to be separated from me in any way.  It was very difficult to rest with her around.  I was moving as much as I could, but I was pretty tired.  I had more trouble sleeping on Saturday night.  In fact, I was up super late and when Baby Bee woke up before 7, I was pretty much up for the day.

I think I was the most stiff and sore Sunday morning after I got up after my poor night’s sleep.  I was pretty miserable and fussy.  I took a shower and got into bed for a few hours while Big Daddy went out with the girls.  I came downstairs for dinner and was very tired.  I managed to sleep well Sunday night.

Monday, Big Daddy and I were busy.  I also had some leg pain and I had to have it checked it out by my doctor and the hospital to rule out a blood clot.  Thankfully, everything was fine, but Monday night?  I was exhausted.

I woke up pretty stiff Tuesday morning, but it dissipates throughout the day.  I’m mostly just stiff, kind of sore and a little low on energy.  At this point, I’m only taking my pain killers (two) at bedtime to help me get a good night’s sleep.

Big Daddy, of course, is an angel.  Are you surprised?  I’ve gotten all the help I need and am looking forward to feeling better, step by step, as the days go by.

As to diet?  Friday and Saturday I kept it very light.  Crackers, jell-o, lots of water, eggs and toast and soup.  As of Sunday, I’ve begun to return to my normal diet, but am mindful of how much fat I feel I’m consuming.  I haven’t had any  stomach side effects and a lot of the anxiety producing symptoms I’ve been having are gone.


Tied Up 0 Replies to “Post-Gallbladder update”