Leftover Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup
I went grocery shopping on Tuesday. I meal planned. I was all set for this week and then when I got home and open my fridge it was stuffed so full of the holidays I couldn’t put my groceries away.
I did a quick clean out so I could get my groceries to fit, but I was still faced with some usable leftovers from New Year’s Eve.
We’re bad at leftovers. It doesn’t matter if we pack up leftover dinner that everyone raved about or bring home take out boxes from our favorite restaruants, we rarely eat leftovers. The only leftover food we eat with any regularity is pizza and that can even be hit and miss at times.
Big Daddy made a lovely smoked chicken on New Year’s Eve. I stuffed it full of herbs and some butter and it was delicious. I hated to see it go to waste and it’s been super cold in our neck of the woods lately and it was soup weather for sure. I love finding quick soups to make on weeknights and I’ve blogged about several, but this soup was super fast and was made up of leftovers and things you probably have in in your cabinet.
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 c of chicken broth
- 3 packages of ramen noodles, flavor packets removed (reserve one)
- 2 cups of leftover chicken, diced
- Drizzle some olive oil in a soup pan. Add diced peppers and carrots and cook until soft, after five minutes.
- Add diced garlic and cook until fragrent, about one minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add ramen noodles and diced chicken. Cook until noodles are done and chicken is warm, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in one seasoning pack for extra flavor.
This makes five large mug sized servings. I served it with brown and serve rolls that I dug out of my equally stuffed freezer for a super fast supper that allowed us to eat at home instead of venturing out. We had everything for this recipe on hand and all of these items are household staples. I loved adding all the veggies (and it could have taken a few cups more, to be honest) and the smoke chicken really gave the soup a nice flavor. Smoked chicken makes the best leftovers. If you remember to eat it.